Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Giza, Cairo's Ugly Stepsister

Culture shock took on a whole new meaning during my quest to see the Great Pyramids. The Nile divides the huge metropolis of Cairo and Giza, and you do not want to be on the wrong side of the Nile. Filthy, insanely populated, freakishly loud, and distinctly impoverished Giza is the side I am referring to. Yes, getting to the pyramids will be more challenging if you stay in Cairo since the traffic is literally murder (you nor I would survive for 2 minutes as a pedestrian), but it is well worth the commute.


Our 5-star accommodations (by Egyptian standards) were inconspicuously situated on a side-street, not in the preferred sector. Once through it's doors (and security check), it was a welcomed oasis from the surrounding elements. We ventured out into the alley once to peruse the adjacent shops and were greeted by many eager and chatty store-owners (even receiving a dinner invitation, which we graciously declined). We conversed, and shopped, and laughed with the locals. That was prior to dusk. Once the sun began to set, however, like Cinderella, we frantically scrambled to make our way back before all that was good turned bad.


Our hotel boasted a lovely internal courtyard with a beautiful pool and a variety of eating options, which provided both excellent food, as well as service. Be that as it may, when I someday return to this place of inspiring structures and intriguing antiquities, I will reserve a nice little room in the heart of Cairo, overlooking the Nile, where one can stroll along the river and patronize the local eateries. It will prove to be an even lovelier experience.



3 comments:

Jane Turley said...

I have always been fascinated by Egyptian history.I hope someday to visit it...maybe on a retirement holiday!

The Blogger Exposed said...

It is definitely a very fascinating culture! I would love to return and visit Alexandria, as well as Luxor. My friend and I went inside the biggest of the Great Pyramids, and it was quite surreal. Hot and cramped and a little scary, but surreal.

England is currently prioritized for places to visit next.

Michael J. Kannengieser said...

Hi Blogger Exposed,
I grew up in a family with it's own resident Egyptologist. My uncle owned an artifacts business, with notable clients such as Andy Warhol and art dealers and museum curators around the world. He read and wrote Hieroglyphics, knew Egyptian history cold, and was often called upon by major museums to appraise Egyptian art, He visited the Pyramids, twice, and was able to decipher much of the ancient graffiti chiseled in the stone. For my uncle's memory, I'd love to visit Egypt, and your tales and photos here in this space reinforce my desire; but I'd have to drag my wife there. Oh well. maybe one day. Thanks for an interesting post. -Mike.